Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

Is it true that if you give a dog chocolate they will die or get sick?

Report as

It depends on the size of the dog and type of chocolate. Milk chocolate will make smaller breeds very ill in small doses but larger breeds are able to consume small amounts without illness. Bakers chocolate, which is a purer form of chocolate will kill small breeds in small doses and make even larger breeds very sick.

Helpful (3) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
NO! I used to feed my dog chocolate, he is 10 years old now. He was about one and we would feed him chocolate occasionally. LIESS
Report as
it is not a lie, chocolate just like ice cream and onions is poisonous to dogs, your dog may be alive and old but that dosent mean it is healthy. i take vet classes :)
Report as
Add a comment...
wrathseed

Only in large quantities proportionally to the weight of the dog.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Ahaha, your picture goes so well with your answer!
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes. My dog ate a pound of chocolate when we were on vacation and we had to induce vomiting (not pleasent) but she survived!

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (11)
Report as
stalkermakeyouscream
Why would you give your dog a pound of chocolate???
Report as
a pound?
Report as
stalkermakeyouscream
Obviously she does not care about her dog or she is plain stupid you can't accidentally give a dog a POUND of CHOCOLATE!!?!??!?!?!?
Report as
Obviously it wasn't intentional your morons. She just passed away at the age of 12 and it's a touchy subject. She got into the pantry..god.
Report as
We got a big chocolate thing as a gift right before we left and she ate it, quit being jerks
Report as
a pound???
Report as
YES. A pound. We thought she was going to die.
Report as
lilkay
Wow what a horrible person to feed A POUND OF CHOCOLATE.
Report as
lilkay
To a dog
Report as
you guys are crazy im sure she didnt do it on purpose people do give large amounts of things as a gift
Report as
Thank you^
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Why don't you try it

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (6)
Report as
Brattyxo
Thats horrible. Sheesh
Report as
Haha
Report as
That was rude.
Report as
Just a fan of sarcasum
Report as
stalkermakeyouscream
ChristNeri ur obviously an animal abuser giving a dog a pound of chocolate?!?!?!?!?!
Report as
Screw you. If you could obviously read. It said she got into it while we wee on vacation. Your so rude!!! That was 7 years ago!! And she literally just died two months ago at 12. So thanks or that comment you jerk.
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes they will get sick. But they have dog chocolate and dog cupcakes:D

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
stalkermakeyouscream

Duh it is kinda obvious.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yeah

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Brattyxo

Every dog is different but Chocolate is very toxic to dogs due to the chemical Theobromine. It effects their blood pressure and other vitals. You can give them a little Peanut Butter but no Chocolate.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

I know a lady who feeds her dog chocolate and also let's it chew on her cigarette butts after she is done smoking it and it is literally addicted to cigarettes as crazy as that sounds. Alot of its hair has fallen out and it walks sideways kinda. I wouldn't recommend giving your dog or pet anything that is not made for it unless you want it to end up like this poor dog.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (3)
Report as
thats weird
Report as
Aww poor thing
Report as
LOL! Wow, that's both pathetic and funny... more proof that dogs become like their owners?
Report as
Add a comment...

Only a large Amount at once can rlly hurt it

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Chocolate is indeed toxic to dogs. But if your dog only has it once it will be fine. Its more of if the dog has a large portion or if it is given chocolate often that it will harm the dog

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Not exactly sure but I know it damages their immune system. Which leads to illness than death.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Not all the time my dog ate 4 bars of coco and nothing happened it depends on how strong the tummy is. I hope this helps you out a bit!!!!!!

Helpful (3) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Well its like them getting drunk.
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes the chocolate it toxic to dogs but a little bit of peanut butter wont hurt.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes!!! They will get sick... Happened to mine. :(

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Marie30

It s chemical in all chocolate. Yes it will kill them. The toxin can also stay in their system for a long time. Of course smaller dogs will be affected quicker. Google this or ask your local vet. I would not recommend you feeding any to your dog.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Depends on the dog. My friends dogs have ate a little and got sick but once my dog ate either a whole batch of brownies or a whole one of those triple chocolate cakes from Costco and didn't get sick at all..

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
all dogs at least get sick from it
Report as
Add a comment...

yes

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

if you feed the dog to much it can get sick or have diarrhea

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes. Even if some answers say only in large quantities and stuff, never give chocolate to animals. It's the same as horses with apple seeds.They can eat them, but not humans. Humans CAN eat apple seeds but they're highly poisonnous; chocolate is the same as poison for animals.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

yes plz be careful

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

milk or white chocolate in very small amounts will just give your dog diarrhea, but if they eat dark chocolate it could kill them. The better the chocolate is for humans, the worse it is for dogs!
BTW never just give your dog chocolate as a treat!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

yes... they will get sick and possibly die... even in small amounts

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

A 60-lb husky can eat 2 lbs of See's Mixed Chocolates with no ill-effects... I know this for a fact ;-) However the smaller the dog, the less it takes to make them sick, and dark or Baker's chocolate is worse than white. Don't give your dog chocolate on purpose, and if he gets into it on accident, find out how much he ate and call the vet to decide whether he needs to have his stomach pumped

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
redtail347

yes bit no cause my greyhound ate chocolate and still alive.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

this statement is false. A dog will not die if it eats chocolate. the worst thing that could happen is that your dog will puke a lot.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

a serving , or half yours ...no not unlesss it like a pup now that might hurt em ,

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

my dog hasnt died yet.....

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

yes if the dog cant take choaclete but if it can then yes you can feed it choaclete

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes and so can cats

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

chocolate is poisonous to dogs. so it could kill them.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches