Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit
All  >  Science

Is it true that some people can't get poison ivy?

I have walked right through poison ivy many times and touched it and I have never gotten a rash. Why?

Report as

This link might help...

http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm

and according to paragraph 2, some people CAN be immune to it

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Hello fellow Mountaineer !! I don't know about people not getting from plant itself, but it IS NOT contagious.. What I mean is u can't get from someone else.. I never knew that until Doctor told me... Let's GOOO Mountaineers !!!!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
WV all the way!!
Report as
Add a comment...

You might be immune to poison ivy, but that can change. When I was a kid, I was immune to poison ivy, so I never paid much attention to it. When I was a teen, though, with all the physical changes going on, I lost my immunity. And I found out the hard way! I got it EVERYWHERE!

Later, I lived on a small farm with goats. The goats ate poison ivy, and when we drank the milk, we also did not get poison ivy. I don't know if this holds true for everyone, though.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

I can roll around in the stuff nude and not get it. One year my plant bed, garden and porch railing was infested by it, so I got down to business on that greenery. No gloves or anything and I never broke out because of it.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Some people are immune to it. There is a mythbusters on it.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Yes it was actually harder for them to find someone that wasn't immune... I tried, when I was a kid and I couldn't get a rash.
Report as
Add a comment...

You have to be allergic to it to get it. I am not allergic to it so I can't get it.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Acctually no,because I don't get hurt by it.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
U mean yes?
Report as
Add a comment...

My friend is completely immune to poison ivy. He rolled in it once and the next day he had nothing! I am jealous of him because I am allergic to that stuff.!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches