Yes, poison ivy is very contagious, but you have to be allergic to it in the first place in order to get it. Both my Dad and I get poison ivy all the time but my sister nor my Mom have ever gotten it because they are not allergic to it.
Poison ivy is contagious when you have the poison ivy on your skin and touch something or someone. Once you wash it off your skin, it is not contagious because the substance (Urushiol) is gone. Even when blisters on the skin ooze, that is not contagious. Only the substance from the plant itself can cause a reaction. If you do come into contact with poison ivy, be sure to wash it all off as soon as possible to avoid spreading it to someone else. And make sure any clothes that might have come into contact with the plant go into the washer right away, too.
Also, as Lunger said, you have to be allergic to poison ivy to have the reaction occur.
2 years ago
Last edited at 11:16AM on 6/2/2011
Fluid from the rashes and blisters is not contagious but it's the oil from the plant that spreads the threat in every person who touches with it. About 350,000 people are usually affected by poison ivy annually in the US.
As JamesKK said, it's the oils from the plant. Once you wash that off with Fels Naptha soap, it is no longer contagious to others. Also, make sure any clothing that might have come into contact with the plant gets washed as well.