Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit
All  >  Science
HydroChaz

Are there really huge areas of ocean with no islands?

I know that oceans are filled with islands. There are more islands near certain groupings, like the Maldives and Guam. What I want to know is that are there thousands of islands not even on the map? Maps and globes show no land for huge areas of ocean. Are there really Russia-sized areas of ocean with no small uninhabited islands or are they just not labeled and there are many? Same with seas. I have a fascination with islands. Thanks.

Report as

Only 29% of the ocean is covered up by continents and islands and the remaining 71% is covered by water, so there are really huge areas of ocean with no islands. For more information, go to www.universetoday.com/65588/what-percent-of-earth-is-water/.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
HydroChaz
Well....that doesn't mean there wouldn't be very small islands anywhere. Small islands would account for barely any land.
Report as
HydroChaz
But thanks
Report as
Add a comment...

No some are underwater

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
If they are underwater, then they're not an island.
Report as
Add a comment...

Yeah.. But Like supergeek said.. some are underwater..,

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches