1 year ago
Last edited at 1:39AM on 5/11/2012
Yes. And so very dangerous. Whom ever made the connection is, pardon me, an idiot. This should be rectified immediately. Cutting away the strands reduced the current carrying capacity by more than half. It can cause a hot spot that could cause a short and possibly fire.
Since you know of this, you either dug up and discovered, or knew of it when it was done. In any event, for the safety of you and your family, please do not let it remain.
That would not be acceptable to the inspection department under any circumstances, however, if your service is only 100-amp, or if 1/2 of your 200-amp service is electric heat AND the partially cut wire is the white conductor, it is safe.