it depends on your dog if its a black lab than not really but any other breed do not give your dog CHOCOLATE my black lab ate a bag of chocolate chips a 10 hershey bars and 3 chocolate kisses and it lived a good 15 years
YES!!!!! too much chocolate could kill your dog, but they make chocolate treats specially for dogs that cannot harm them. even so, too many of these could make them sick. give them to your dog with care.
1 year ago
Last edited at 9:08AM on 5/23/2012
I believe it's not True,maybe for some..But years ago I bought DOGGIE CHOCOLATE FOR MY DOG it looked so GOOD I had to NIBBLE a TASTE,It was JUST LIKE EATING A FLICK CHOCLATE DROP.Just not as SWEET.I GIVE MY DOG CHOC.OCCATIONALLY HE LOVES IT AND HAS NO REACTIONS...
yes, but I've heard that they can have a little bit of chocolate...it's deadly when they have TOO MUCH chocolate because of a toxin(name?) in the chocolate...but I never give my dogs chocolate or onion because they can be deadly...
1 year ago
Last edited at 10:52AM on 5/23/2012
The darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is to dogs (and I would assume, cats too). This is among the most dangerous "people-foods" you could give a dog, along with raisins/grapes and onions/garlic. There are a couple of good iPhone/iPod/iPad apps that provide really good info about such things.
By the way, in regard to people who say their dog ate chocolate and was fine... The effects are not always immediate. We're talking severe liver/kidney damage (I forget which) over time. If your dog gets into chocolate (we had a black Lab who did) and seems fine, that's lucky; but don't let that fool you. There's probably organ damage you don't see. (Our dog died of kidney failure three years later -- not a direct correlation, but certainly didn't help!)
You can buy carob stuff for your dog if you want to give him/her something very like chocolate that won't be harmful.
Supposedly so. One of our dogs got a hold of a large piece of chocolate, and it took five minutes for any of us to realize it. The dog was fine. It just depends on how much they eat. Don't freak out if your dog happens to find a stray Coco Puff or something!
According to our vets, it depends on the size of the dog. Many times vets are more concerned if the dog ate the foil wrapper.
For a dog under 20 lbs., it can be harmful: smaller it can be fatal. Larger dogs (30+ lbs) it typically doesn't phase. That doesn't mean to feed your dog chocolate - but if they get into it, at least you don't have to panic.
when they did the test to see if it was harmful to dogs they used chocolate covered raisons. it was the raisens that were harmful, but dont take any chances with your dog but personally my dog ate all my sons easter candy and didn't get sick but like i said dont take any chances
Yes!!! It can kill your dog. If you love your best friend and companion don't risk it. Provide your dog with what makes it happy, not what makes you happy. Try some loving, quality, time with it. Try chicken and sweet potato jerky made for your dog. follow the guidelines for your dogs size by weight, cooked carrots and dried fruit, like apricots. Moderation is the key for the dog and yourself. If you still want to give your dog chocolate after reading these answers, ask your vet and research feeding your dog carob. It's an excellent chocolate substitute for people. I don't know about dogs .Don't transfer your bad eating habits on to your dog. A healthy snack, love, attention, and a nice walk is a much better way to please your dog. Believe me. a nice walk would make your dog happier and healthier than a dose of chocolate ever could. Remember, your not feeding yourself, you're feeding your dog, best friend and companion. Please don't do things that will harm it just to make yourself happy. Make him happy and you will be happier. Loyal friends and companions don't feed their loved ones things to make them sick and potentially kill them.
Sure it is harmful to dogs, it would make it crazy, sleepless, maniacal... Never throw a half piece of chocolate to your dog. If you have excess chocolate to spare, I advise you send them to the hungry African children by Fox. Then the God will record a merit for you!!
It's the dark chocolate that is deadly , and yes, it may not harm the dog( USED to feed ours Reese's) but why take the risk?? Just don't feed them chocolate period!!!also be sure to NEVER let your dog get a hold of sugar free gum!! xylitol is very deadly to dogs 1 stick could kill a dog!!!!!!!!
1 year ago
Last edited at 8:46AM on 5/26/2012
I'm not to sure because my dog loves chocolate. He has been eating it since he was a puppy. He hasn't been sick from it yet. My dog is now 11 and he stills acts as if he was a puppy. Like running and jumping all the time. I also think that those shots are harmful to dogs so I got a form saying that he didn't have to get shots, so that might have something to do with not eating chocolate. I guess it's ok for a pomeranian poodle.
Chocolate, as well as grapes and garlic are all harmful to dogs. My dog got into the kids' Easter baskets one year when she was a puppy and her stomach bloated and she was howling. I had to take her to an emergency vet and she had to have her stomach pumped. They said that she would have died.
When I moved, I split a half gallon of chocolate ice cream with my tWo chows cause it wouldn't make the move. But it made the dogs explode as soon as we walked in the new place. What a godawful mess. You should have seen my shoes.last time ever gave them chocolate or icecream
Yes, chocolate can be harmful to dogs. A good rule of thumb is to never give your dog any people food at all. Better to be safe than to rack up a huge vet bill. The best thing is to find a natural pet food that your dog likes, like Natural Balance Synergy, and stick to only the food and treats from that brand. Then your dog will get all the nutrition he needs.