chocolate is bad for the dogs because the chocolate has a chemical and they can't digest it which means they can't get it out of there bodies and that's why you should never ever give a candy bar to your dog.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains a chemical called theobromine. This chemical is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. For more information, visit http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/question348.htm.
well it's not just chocolate...it's also cooked meat on a bone, grapes, eggs, and some other things. chocolate is harmful to a dog's heart. I don't know the scientific reasoning but I know it does something to their heart.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains a chemical called theobromine. This chemical is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. So yes if you give your dog chocolate, HE WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am now an old man. Over the 68+ years of my life, I have owned many different breeds of dog. I have found that every one of my dogs has had a seeming affinity for chocolate candy. Whenever I ate a chocolate candy bar, I never hesitated to share it with my beloved dogs. At no time have I ever seen a dog have a negative physical reaction to chocolate. I believe that it is misinformation or old wives tales, that falsely claim that chocolate is toxic to dogs. If it were toxic to dogs, then mine would not have had an average lifetime of 12 to 14 years. One small pooch lived until he was 18 years old. I had to put him down due to arthritis and other old age ailments. I have also heard that dogs don't share human emotions. Don't be foolish enough to believe that lie either. Dogs have similar emotional reactions to stimuli as most human beings! The world of canine experts is filled with people who need to go back to school and stop publishing false propaganda about which they obviously know little about.
It also depends on the size of the dog. I had a huge Great Dane as a kid and would share my second Twix bar with him and he was fine, however, a single Hershey kiss allegedly could kill a small poodle they say.
The chemical is theobromine, and it isn't that they are unable to digest it, in some dogs (A large number of dogs) it causes an allergic reaction. Similar to how almost everyone is allergic to poison ivy. Some dogs it will never bother, I have seen a dog eat an entire Snickers bar every day of it's very... very... long life. (It was an incredibly mean dachshund... Tortured me growing up.) Other dogs can eat an M&M and have a seizure.
Well ids y people say crap like so, when honestly it wont kill them unless they eat too much like peanuts or peanut butter parents and adults just don't want they kids feeding the dog food they might be unfamiliar with i mean i don't want people feeding my dog that food they could also have a diet and don't want anything going wrong or like the geezer up there said ^ it could be an old wives tale........ I'm sure that's it ...... l
Chocolate is not good for your dog. Call your vet and ask for a list of foods that aren't good for your pet. They should be able to provide you with a list or where to get a list. You're such a good parent for asking!
This is directly the the ASPCA, on why chocolate is bad for dogs.
Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants known as methylxanthines. If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.
Typically, the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. 20 ounces of chocolate can cause serious harm to any size dog, one Hersher Kiss can cause the death of your loved animal.
I hope this helps! I know I really care about my dog and I hope you do too, heres a list of other foods your pet shouldnt have.
- Alcohol - Avocado - Chocolate - Coffee - Fatty foods - Macadamia nuts - Moldy or spoiled foods - Onions, onion powder - Raisins and grapes - Salt - Yeast dough - Garlic - Products sweetened with xylitol