Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

If you get allergic to something you werent allergic to before,is it possible to stop being allergic to it if you keep getting exposed to it

there was something i wasnt allergic to before. now i MIGHT be allergic to it. it might be that thing thats getting my eyes itchy and my nose runny, but it might be something else. so i was wondering, if i keep getting exposed to this thing, is it possible i wont be allergic to it anymore? will i get immune to it?

Report as

Allergies usually stay with you, but in some cases you can develop tolerance to the substance you are allergic to and no longer have symptoms. Our bodies are a wonderful machine.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
i dont know you, but i love you for making feel better. positive answers always make me feel better.
Report as
Add a comment...
christina246

i would say allergy u should ask your doctor about that

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
i know its an allergy although i didnt ask a doctor. but i wanna know, if i keep getting exposed the thing im allergic to, is it possible to get immune to it.im not talking about food.
Report as
christina246
yes it is
Report as
Add a comment...

my brother was almost allergic to fish but it went away,. it could just be something in the thing and not the thing itself. so yeah it could go away

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (5)
Report as
thanks. that makes me feel so much better. but im not talking abt food. im talking abt cats. i love animals. so i hate to admit it, but i think i might be allergic to cats now.
Report as
oh yeah. thats what i awnser questions for!!! (to help)
Report as
christina246
i have a friend like that who was allergic to cats all of a sudden
Report as
is she still allergic to them?
Report as
christina246
yes
Report as
Add a comment...

It is possible but not in the way you are asking. Once you develop an allergy to something your body will go into attack mode against it releasing histamines. The histamines are what cause the symptoms. Itchy eyes, runny nose etc. in order for your body to become less sensitive the the allergen, it would need to be exposed to very small doses of the allergen. Sometimes you can get an injection with minute amounts of the allergen and lesson the severity of the reaction over time. When you are exposed to the allergen through natural sources your body is going to react with the symptoms. It can actually become severe and your body can have an anaphylactic reaction, which can be life threatening. This only happens in severe cases tho and not usually in common allergies. You can lesson your symptoms by avoiding the allergen and or taking an antihistamine such as benedryl or Zyrtec The best thing, if possible, is to avoid what ever you are allergic to if you know what it is. If you can't avoid it like pollens, dust and such you can only treat the symptoms.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
its just minor allergies. for a while, my eyes itch or i sneeze and stuff.
Report as
Add a comment...

Allergy Injections

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
besides that.if i keep getting exposed to somehing that i might be a bit allergic to, i might still be allergic to it, but i might not get the symptoms anymore.hopefully!
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer