Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

Is the white powder on the inside of light bulbs poisonous?

My 2 year old is FOREVER getting into stuff and I threw away a light bulb and he got it out of the trash and busted it. I found the white powder on his fingers and hope and pray he didn't injest it. He says no, but I still want to know. I have always herad it was poisonous. PLEASE HELP!!

Report as

Are you talking about incandescent (traditional) light bulbs or fluorescent light bulbs? Fluorescents do contain a very small amount of mercury, which can be toxic, especially to young children. However, if you are talking about a regular incandescent light bulb that happens to be frosted on the inside, then there should be little cause for concern.

Here are some additional references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp#Health_and_safety_issues
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-are-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs-Dangerous-83131.shtml

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches