Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

How high do you let a fever get before you take an 11 month old to a doctor or emergency room?

The high temp is with Motrin and Tylenol rotating every 2 hours!

Report as

I'd take him to the doctor now. Has the fever broken at all?

Helpful (5) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (7)
Report as
It was 103 with a dose of Tylenol an hour before and then went down to 100.5 after a bath and then gave her a dose of motrin!
Report as
Honestly, I'd take her to the ER. A fever with a little one can be very dangerous. And motrin will usually at least knock the fever for four hours. But with it still being over 100...besides, better safe than sorry. Good luck!
Report as
Thanks!!!
Report as
It is now down to 98.4 with motrin gIven 2 Hrs ago! Advice? Still take her or wait?
Report as
Sorry...went to store. It sounds like it finally broke. That's good. Just keep a real close eye all night. Even if you have to wake her to take her temp and give more Motrin.
Report as
Thanks again! I woke her up once to check her and gave her more meds! Her temp was 99.0, I am going to check her again in a little bit! Fevers just scare me especially being so little!! Thanks again for advice:)
Report as
Well, how is she? I hope everything is good this morning.
Report as
Add a comment...

37,5 degrees(Celcius) max. If it goes over 37,5 go to hospital.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (5)
Report as
She had 103 with meds?
Report as
It's 39.4 celcius degrees go to hospital now!(We, teens, adults can deal these fevers but babies cannot)
Report as
Thanks! I just checked it and now is down to 98.4! And last gave her meds about 2 hrs ago! Should I still take her or wait?
Report as
Still take her.
Report as
Sorry I live in Turkey and because of the hour difference, I couldnt answer your question. I think if medicine work, you should observe him/her for two days, if temperature goes on again, go to doctor. If not, you don't need to go to doctor.
Report as
Add a comment...

I wouldn't let it get above 100F, not sure what that comes to in celsius. Even if the child isn't that fussy it still isn't safe for them to run higher temps.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Thanks!
Report as
Add a comment...

I recommend taking them I the doctor period. They are much more fragile. If the fever has broken and gone down, I would still take precaution. Giving them Tylenol is good to do, as I an happy to see you are doing. I hope he/she gets well soon

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Thanks!
Report as
Add a comment...
PoisonIvyLeo

It's not recommended to rotate unless you can not get the fever under contol. If tylenol doesn't work then motrin should. Make sure the baby gets plenty if fluids. If it spikes fast or you can't get it down I would go to the ER.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer