Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

How dose chocolate kill a dog?

O_O how?

Report as

It turns out that, for dogs, a chemical in chocolate called theobromine is the source of the problem. Theobromine is similar to caffeine. According to this page, theobromine is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine: It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. It is not that hard for a dog to get into something like an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs and bunnies and gobble up a pound or two of chocolate. If the dog is small, that could be deadly.
Here is the link:
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/question348.htm

Helpful (6) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (6)
Report as
Thanks for the help i just wanted to know so bad bcuz i got a greyhound and my sister leaves chocolate around the house so im scared that he will get to it and die but i dident know how much he would have to have to get sick...
Report as
I would keep an eye on it, and also have a serious talk with her. It is not the "digestive" situation. It is the chemical IN the chocolate called Theobromine.
Report as
ik but she's 3 i dont think shell understand O_O
Report as
Probably not, but just keep an eye on HER. lol
Report as
ik i will and ill hide all the chocolate some where!Where the dog and she cant get into it.....
Report as
Or, just tell her when she does eat it, it has to be eaten at a table, and what isn't finished has to be given to you to put up for later.
Report as
Add a comment...

To much sugar or something else

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
Nope, a chemical called theobromine.
Report as
Well.....i did say something else :/
Report as
Add a comment...

There is an ingredient that dogs just can't digest

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Theobromine is actualy like poison to them, not that they can't digest the chocolate or an ingredient.
Report as
Add a comment...

They can't digest it, and it has some kind of toxin in it

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Toxin is right, it's called Theobromine
Report as
Add a comment...

I cant remember what its actually called but dogs aren't able to break down the sugar which means they can't digest it.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
It's actually because a chemical in chocolate is like poison to them. It's called Theobromine
Report as
Add a comment...

Why Are You Gonna Give Your Dog A Dose Of Chocolate?

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
No :I ....READ THE COMMENTS BETWEEN ME AND CLICKETYCLACK
Report as
Add a comment...

I never gave my dog chocolate, but I had a friend I knew who owned a gas station, he had a golden retriever and every time he bought a candy bar out of the candy machine he gave the dog half of it,I can't explain why I didn't harm the dog

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
There wasn't enough Theobromine in that candy to make the dog sick.
Report as
Add a comment...

My dog has eaten chocolate several times (he's gotten into it somehow, we didn't feed it to him on purpose) and he's still alive and kickin!!

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (3)
Report as
There wasn't enough Theobromine in the chocolate to make your dog get sick.
Report as
Actually, it's because my dog is a newfy (over 100 pounds) so it will take a lot of chocolate to get him sick!!
Report as
Which relates to what I said. It's the amount of Theobromine also. :)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches