In science, observation is one of the most fundamental skills required for recording data. Observation is not limited to sight, for it can also involve sound, taste, touch or smell. Much scientific inquiry began as the observation of nature.
1 year ago
Last edited at 5:02PM on 1/31/2013
Some historic observations.
1) Australian scientist Florey cleaning up old petri dishes just noticed a spot of mold that seemed top eat the other molds. Thus penicillin was discovered.
2) Middle Ages scientists observed the moon was round, that ships seemed to dip over the horizon, that eclipses made crescent shadows, and that at same times they could have no shadow at one place and some shadow at others.... concluded Earth was round.
3) Mme Curie noticed a rock specimen left in a drawer made the photographic plates develop a rough image of the rock... xrays.
4) Astronomers noticed red light from some stars was slightly different from others, concluding the "expanding universe" model
5) A mother observed that her newborn who she had been told was stillborn had little actions the staff dismissed as 'reflexes". The mother persisted that she should cuddle the child and he lived.