1 year ago
Last edited at 5:08AM on 2/1/2013
If the lamp itself is old , It could cause the lamp to turn on and off , If it is fairly new , Check the ballast , The lamp must match the wattage rating of the ballast , If you replace the lamp , Please recycle it because it contains alot of mercury , Alot more than the average fluorescent bulb , Go to lamprecycle.org for more information , If the new lamp still turns off and on , Check the ballast , The fixture may have an ignitor and if so , Replace it , Usually a bad ignitor causes the lamp to cycle on and off , Try replacing the ignitor first and then go from there , You may also want to test the capacitor , Here is a video on how to test capacitors URL http://youtu.be/TFa6JfVu3B4 Good luck I hope you can fix it DANGER ! , , , , If you accidentally drop a high pressure sodium lamp , NEVER handle the broken glass with your bare hands as it has mercury on it and avoid breathing it's vapor , Not only is mercury poisonous , It is also a strong carcinogen that easily causes cancer , Mercury can enter the bloodstream by touching it with your bare hands , Continued on comments
check your ballest. check the bulb and check the peice that it screws into.forgot the name? if its not that you might be running to much or to less wattage for the recomended usage. you can't use a thousand watt bulb. in a 6 700 watt max system.