Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.

I Have a problem with a previous employer now that tax season has come around. Need help in figuring out the right step to do.

I worked for a family run business for 8 months. During this time I was not allowed lunches or breaks as they didn't have anyone to cover for me if I left. I worked 10 hours a day 5 days a week. I did not receive any overtime pay the entire length of employment. How he thought to handle this was taking me off the clock after 8 hours and paying me the remaining two hours under the table with no overtime. Now that its tax season he has sent me an independent tax form and now I owe the government quite a bit of money. What should I do? I live in california

Report as

Well...if he paid you under the table for the 2 hours of OT you worked each day, then I doubt that money is included on your tax form (if it is, he could get in trouble for not paying you the OT)....and if it isn't be thankful because you would owe more! Most family employers don't take your taxes out of your wages like they would if they were a large unfortunately it is still money you owe! If he did include the OT on your tax form, then you still owe the money because it is still wages you recieved for doing the job. If you want to pursue the half time you didn't get paid, you can contact Wage and hour board in your state....but if you clocked out and have no proof, then there is probably nothing they can do.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer