4 months ago
Last edited at 12:35PM on 2/12/2013
Yes - all those comments are right. Activated charcoal has an ENORMOUS surface area and under the microscope consists of billions of tiny cells. All manner of substances can be absorbed into this porous structure, even large volumes of toxic gas, (As used in WW1 against chlorine and mustard gas attacks) Two or three Activated Charcoal tablets or capsules will absorb AND deodorize enough flatulence to make you nice to be near. It will minimise the extreme effects of minor poisoning sufficiently to save your life. Activated Charcoal is what everyone should have after eating out to avoid food poisoning - it is legendary stuff!!!!
Activated charcoal has a whole lot of really tiny pores, so its surface area to volume ratio is very, very high. Because of that it is ideal in absorbing contaminants without requiring the use of a lot of the charcoal itself. You also use AC in water filtration.
The activated charcoal has the capability to absorb a large variety of substances. Single doses of this oral charcoal efficiently prevent gastrointestinal absorption of most toxins and drugs in the stomach during the charcoal administration. Read more on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3285126.