Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit
All  >  Science

I thought spontaneous human combustion was fake, but my local news is reporting a guy caught on fire this way? Can this be real?

http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas/river-valley/Sheriff-Man-s-burned-body-found-inside-home-death-unexplained/-/14498626/18974050/-/5g18e4z/-/index.html

Report as

It is a real phenomena, but not a case of a person suddenly "bursting" into flame. Nor does the fire start from nothing. It's usually an overweight person who is unconscious for some reason; a small fire starts from a dropped cigarette (or whatever). The fire is actually quite small, but it is hot enough to begin liquefying the body fat, which slowly burns like an old-style oil lamp. The body is mostly consumed, but not the surroundings, because only the melting body fat is capable of maintaining the fire. When discovered, they find the mostly destroyed body, with the nearby surroundings burned or scorched but the rest of the area pretty much undamaged.

Helpful (4) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
Exactly. The fire burns hot enough at the core to turn even the bones to ashes without the flames getting high enough to set the room ablaze. This gives the false impression that the body burned from the inside out.
Report as
Yes. The white substance you see in the centers of bones (like in chops and steaks) at the meat counter is actually fat (tallow). That also liquifies, burns, and consumes the bones.
Report as
Add a comment...

Spontaneous combustion is real

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
This must have been a horrible death for the poor guy.
Report as
Combustion is real but not spontaneous combustion. There needs to be an ignition source.
Report as
Add a comment...

In some cases, it shows itself with some pretty good proof. Although, in other cases they can be explained. Personally, I believe it. c:

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

It does happen.

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

I saw a Discovery Channel special about this. People can be consumed by a small fire but it's not spontaneous. They must be ignited in some way, such as falling asleep with a lit cigarette.

Helpful (4) Fun (1) Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
yep,its never been observed,so it has to be real..like bigfoot
Report as
In this special they took a slaughtered pig and wrapped it up in a blanket. They applied a small amount of accelerant to get it started and lit it. The result was a small, contained, slow burn that lasted for several hours. What happens is that the fat melts and is soaked up by the blanket and burns off, very much like the wick in a candle. The fire burns hot enough at the center to turn even the bones to ash but the flames don't get high enough to engulf the surroundings. The remains looked very much like those in the supposed "spontaneous human combustion" cases.
Report as
Add a comment...

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day,,,set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life

Helpful (4) Fun (3) Thanks for voting Comments (6)
Report as
That's awesome. But probably not the most advisable thing ever ;)
Report as
then he can catch his own fish and cook it too ;)
Report as
yeah
Report as
win/win
Report as
Mona if he's dead, he won't be eating that fish!
Report as
Could be ... if he's fast enough. (actually it was more of play off crow's twisted quote... lol)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes, it is real. Various police departments (and newspapers) throughout the country have files on this phenomena going back at least 100 years.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
Amazing, I thought is was fake. This is crazy and I hope he didn't suffer too badly. I hope it was quick and pain less. This is horrible.
Report as
Add a comment...

That's absurd. What would cause a person to just light on fire? Your local news anchors are sadly misinformed. Either that or, somebody, ya'know, lit the guy on fire ON PURPOSE. WHAT????

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
Report as
Well, most reporters are snakes as far as i'm concerned. The guy was either lit up by somebody else, or he forgot to put out his cigarette before he passed out.
Report as
Add a comment...

Did they try to drink pure hydrogen peroxide or something

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Yes

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer