Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

Re infected ear lobe piercing?

I got my ears pierced about 4 weeks ago, my ear was infected and then when me and m grandma drove down to Tennessee, it was all better but now that im back, it seems to be getting re infected help on what to do?

Report as

You may be allergic to metal. That means you will always have trouble with getting piercings. It is very common for some people to be allergic to all metals, even gold. They DO make plastic pierced earrings for those who are allergic. But be prepared if you can't get them healed, you may have to take them out. Wash your hands OFTEN. that's what keeps most infections going. Turn them only twice a day with clean hands. Put medicated ointment on them after you clean them. If this doesn't work, you're allergic to metal.

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
What about hypoallergenic? Would that work
Report as
No-even if it says hypoallergenic , it rarely works. Through going through this with my daughter for years, I suggest solid gold tiny hoops which you'll have ro buy in a jewelry department of a department store- just like the ones for babies because it allows the hole to "breathe" from the back and front. And they look very sweet on and no one knows they are for babies. They are a solid circle with a bend in the back of one side and he other side of the circle just latches into the bend. Then just move the hoop up and down a few rimes a day. They will not go in a complete circle through your lobe. They also won't catch on anything because they are real small loops. I wear them all the time and just leave them in. You still have to clean your ears. It may be hard to get them in though since your hole is infected. Make sure you don't have the backing of the earrings you have on now pressed tight against the back of the ear! The backing should be close to the edge of the stem, and just on enough to keep the earring from falling out of your ear. Ghats where most peoe make their mistake. They squeeze the backing post on too tight and it touches the back of the ear and if you're allergic it makes it really bad. And if you don't turn it, skin can grow over the backing of the earring!!!
Report as
Add a comment...

well if you havent been turning them every few days then that can infect it or if you took them out to early

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

You get back there to Tennessee right now, and don't you come back until that Tennessee air heals 'em, one hundred percent!
Leave grandma behind this time. No need for her to go......unless she's getting piercings, too.
Make sure she pays her own way, eh?

Helpful (1) Fun (3) Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

put neosporin on the earring post and stick back in. do it daily works wonders

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

As Sincerity mentioned it may be an allergy to metal; try as pure a gold post as can(18K best as is fairly pure yet still strong) or platinum. Mat seem expensive but for someone like me with metal allergies is only way, and only need posts in "pure metals" if you take earrings off every night. If Allergies do seem to be the problem, get fully plastic to wear untill the holes heal and seaal-up 100%.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
The thing is its only my left ear this is also my second time getting them pierced, the first time I had this problem but only with my left ear
Report as
Not sure what to tell you; other than what happened with mine, similar situation,
Onl y my right ear gave my serious problems, finally gave up and just let them close up. Then about 1/1/2 years later I re-did them myself, using Ice to completely numb them and a fairly large needle as the ear had built up a lot of scar tissue inside. Used only waxed dental floss tied into ring and kept it Super clean and 3xday put antibiotic cream and moved the dental floss back &forth to get inside covered. After 2 weeks took that out and put in small 18Kt, gold stud which I wore every day for about 2months. Always took it out at night, cleaned real well and other than a periodic slight irritation when I stop wearring anything for a week or so, has been fine. But always wear earrings with "pure metal" posts. Gold, Platinum or Medical grade Steel once in a while( can get away with that if its only in for few hours. Also very seldom wear any earrings overnight.
So, not sure what really caused repeated irritation/infections, but do know If I wear any other metals for prolonged periods, it gets red-irritated right away.
Wish I had the Magic solution; only know that the 3rd time and manner was the Charm!. Other than going to a ? Dermatologist? And getting their opinion just don't know... Sry.:-(. Hope you find a way that works!:-).
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches