Call 911 and stay out of the house until its been cleared by the fire department. You can't see or smell carbon monoxide and so trust the alarm even if you think it's just broken, better to stay safe and alive
If you dont have any gas appliances its probably just the batteries. Hiwever if you have even one gas appliance, like the furnace, everyone leave the house an call the fire dept. Carbon Monoxide is a 'silent' killer because can neither see nor smell it and often by tbe time you notice symptoms the damage is already done.
Going off ?? Like, as in a full alarm sound .. or just a chirping sound?
A full alarm means it is detecting carbon monoxide. Typically from a natural gas fixture (like a oven, stove, furnace or heater). Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is created when fuel doesn't burn properly. If you have any appliances that are natural gas .. make sure they are working properly. Call your fire department, and they can help you find the source. If your alarm is going off .. that means it's serious enough to be considered VERY dangerous. Don't take this lightly.
http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/carbonmonoxide-factsheet.pdf CO is a common industrial hazard resulting from the incomplete burning of natural gas and any other material containing carbon such as gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, or wood. Forges, blast furnaces and coke ovens produce CO, but one of the most common sources of exposure in the workplace is the internal combustion engine.
A chirping sound from your detector, however .. means that the battery is low and needs to be changed.
It can be coming from your heater or water heater, call the gas company or the fire department, they will do a free inspection, carbon monoxide can be very deadly, it affects children and the elderly the fastest, so you want to keep them out of the house, along with yourself of course.
1 year ago
Last edited at 6:11PM on 4/4/2013
try replacing your batteries....dead/dying batteries cause over-sensitivity. if that doesn't work, get a hotel until the gas company can come take a reading.
also watch for rosy cheeks, headaches, dizziness and sleepiness, all signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. if you notice any of this, get out immediately. don't lay down if you feel tired - this is how carbon monoxide deaths occur!
Your furnace need immediate attention have it serviced or replaced its generating CO and because there is also apparently inadequate ventilation your CO alarm goes off DO NOT DELAY this is really important and DANGEROUS since carbon monoxide is a deadly odorless gas. Of course your CO alarm may also be going bad and needs replacement how long have you had it anyway? I understand they wear out after 5 to 7 years of use so keep that in mind. If they came with the house replace them