Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

My cat just ate a dead bird that was absolutely infested with maggots. Is my cat in danger of getting sick or poisoned?
Thanks!

Report as

I would be less concerned about the maggots than why the bird died. If the bird was poisoned, then yes, your cat could be exposed to the same poison. If the bird died of a bacterial or viral infection, depending on if it affects cats as well, your cat could get sick. Call your vet and ask their advice.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

im not reallly sure but my rabit ate some maggots and they ate it from inside out. i would take it to a vet to be completely sure. sorry if its bad. hope it helped

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
That's terrible! Im sorry for your rabbit!
Report as
thanks :)
Report as
Add a comment...

thats really hoorible but you can only hope welcome

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

that is really nasty and why did you let your cat eat it if it had maggots in it and just take it 2 the vet it probally got rabbies

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
I didn't 'let' it eat it but he wouldn't drop it and kept running away with it when I got near him then ran under the house with it and came back out 5 mins later licking his lips! How would it have rabies? We dont tend to have many (if any) cases of that in Australia these days!
Report as
Add a comment...

i think you should just get that medicine that kills the worms for your cat insead of spending all that money on a trip to the vet ! it'll cost less and be just as afective

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Take it to the vet

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

My sister's dog once threw up maggots, probably from eating the larvae eggs. Besides being thoroughly disgusting she was fine once it was out of her system. Usually the stomach acids will keep domestic animals safe, but I would call your vet asap and explain situation. Good luck!

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

You should probably go to the vet and get him some medicine

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

i agree you should take it to the vet in the first place just in case because its better to be safe than sorry. and also cats always eats birds dead or alive the only thing you should be wired about is worms and poison.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Call the vet and see if u can give it something to make it throw it up. It probably wont hurt it but u dint want the cat contracting rabies or something. I had outdoor cats. But maybe after this u should leave it in the house. Outdoor cats life is shorter.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer