3 months ago
Last edited at 2:24PM on 12/27/2013
If the service panel has a main breaker you may have a lost leg through one side of the breaker. You are obviously not trained to trouble shoot or repair the problem. You need professional help for your safety. If it isn't a main breaker failure the next connection point is in the meter can where the utility company's service drops from their pole to attach to your building. You can call the utility company first in case the problem is theirs especially if the service drop to the house is routed through tree breaches that have not been trimmed in quite a while. The wind blowing the limbs will eventually wear the uninsulated Neutral wire to the point it will fail. That will cut the functionality to one side of the panel if the panel wasn't bonded properly at the first means of disconnect. If you turn on the oven in the kitchen range it will feed through the two pole 50 amp. range breaker to the buss that has lost power on the other side of the panel. The voltage is lower and intermittent and it makes it seem, as one elderly customer once described it, like there are Ghosts in the house. The reason that it is intermittent is the oven will try to heat then shut off, then try again, etc.
All of the above answers are possibilities but I would go with ConMah and Phil38's answers to narrow down the trouble DANGER ! . . . . If you're not fully familiar with circuit breaker panels , NEVER attempt to troubleshoot it yourself ! CALL AN ELECTRICIAN AND/OR YOUR POWER COMPANY IMMEDIATELY ! If you try to troubleshoot it yourself and are not all that familiar with breaker panels , A very serious and deadly accident is inevitable , There is ALWAYS that clear and present danger of electrocution and ALSO , The danger of an ARC FLASH EXPLOSION & FIRE ! Which causes very severe burn injury , Death & property damage , Watch the safety video on arc flash safety http://youtu.be/Be8cLey05Z4 , Arc flash explosions kill 3 - 4 people everyday in the United States , Don't you be one of them ! . ALWAYS PUT SAFETY FIRST !!!