How big is your dog? Call the vet immediately. But in the meanwhile, give him 1-2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. How long ago did he eat the rat poison? If it was more than like, 10, 15 min ago, it is no longer in his stomach and the hydrogen peroxide will not help. You MUST GET YOUR DOG TO A VET RIGHT AWAY or he could DIE.
Call poison control. Everyone should know to call them!! Your dog may need hydrogen peroxide, IV's w/Vit K, charcoal... It depends on the kind & amt. of poison & the size of the dog. Most of all TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!!! And shame on all who answered with funerals, etc. This person needs quick honest answers in a scary time of need. Some kind people love their pets and care about animals.
You can do nothing yourself. You need to take him to the Vet immediately! Rat poison is made from various forms of Warfarin which thins the blood - the amount in rat poison is massive! He needs intense infusions of vitamin K. You cannot buy it in the potency required at a store. If you don't get him medical care his blood will thin so much that he'll start bleeding out of his eyes, ears & every orifice until he bleeds to death. He needs help NOW - the longer you wait, the more his body will be able to absorb. In the future, instead of rat poison use a mixture of 1/2 corned mix 1/2 plaster of Paris. Mix and put little plates of it out in as many places a you can. The mice will gorge themselves on it and, as soon as they drink water, the mix will solidify, blocking their intestines. Its not a nice death, but no more than bleeding to death from rat poison and this won't hurt or kill your cats and dogs. You can buy both at Walmart. Cornbread mix is less than $1 a box & the plaster of Paris is under $5 for a huge box, equal to10 or more boxes of cornbread mix. Good luck with your dog - as soon as you can, come back and tell us how he is.
Take him to the vet immeditly!!!! and all you people who are saying funeral, shut up and get seirous!!!! cause I am a vet so hon if you need anything about animals go to my page and i will tell you what to do!
i recently had my golden retriever swallow quite a large portion of rat pellets.......i didn't have time to race it to the vet and lucky i was on to it within 30 mins.... i poured hydrogen peroxide into her mouth and she foamed and threw up within five minutes... all the pellets cam up in a green sticky mess......i then gave her some activated charcoal after about 2 hours and then after about three hours egg whites and milk......was careful to not let her drink any water..... she didn't show any after effects at all....phewwwww i suggest that anyone with a dog that has swallowed rat poison do the same as long as you notice that the dog has done it and get to it quickly..... i was lucky i hope you are as well........