Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.

Is there anyway to get out of having to go to court for an OWI if you absolutely have to move to a different state?

My husband was arrested for an OWI here in Iowa back in November. He was not operating the vehicle when he was arrested but rather working on his van on the side of the road, but he did have a blood alcohol of 0.083. He admitted to the cop that he was previously at a buddies house and had a beer before heading home and breaking down. His attorney says there is a good chance the charge will be dropped, but I'm not sure about that because I don't pretend to understand the justice system and how it works. This leads to my question/situation. Due to financial status we are no longer able to support our lives here. I have family back in Texas willing to take us in and help my husband and I get back on our feet because I am pregnant and have a baby due early May they don't want us to end up on the streets here. Im afraid we won't be able to keep our place here in Iowa too much longer and the stress is overwhelming. The problem is that my husbands pre-trial is set for February 6 and Trial for February 28. We can't afford to live let alone send him from Texas to go to these court dates, but also I can't be pregnant and on the streets in Iowa.

Report as

Maybe you could head to Texas now and your husband could stay with friends until the court date.

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
That would be a good suggestion but we ourselves have not lived in this state long and have no close reliable friends to be of any assistance to us.
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer