2 years ago
Last edited at 6:57PM on 1/14/2012
THE CORRECT ANSWER:
If you leave your laptop plugged in ALL the time, it will, after 2-6 months, create a 'memory' in the battery of non-use. The battery will have virtually no life when you unplug it. Also, although the charger itself does not consume much power, it does generate some heat - and it will get hotter the older it gets.
If you want your battery (and the charger) to live a long life and work well for it's entire life, when you first get the laptop, charge it for at least 24 hours. THEN UNPLUG AND RUN THE LAPTOP UNTIL IT SHUTS ITSELF OFF. Repeat this cycle at least 8-10 times. This will 'train' the battery for usage when the unit is unplugged. This holds true for anything that gets recharged - laptops, cell phones, cordless phones, etc. For those who have had a unit for less than 2 years, following these steps will increase the battery usage time. Over 2 years old it will help slightly, but the 'memory' will have taken too firm a hold by then.
This message is from a computer tech, who also was an ASE certified mechanic/electrician who worked at a battery store. I used to recondition batteries - I know how to get the max usage from a rechargeable battery.
If you leave it plugged all the time, your battery will get messed up. You know what happend to my battery, i use to plug it 24/7 and now I cant take my laptop anywhere without bein plugged in cause the battery dies within 5 min. It has to constantly be plugged. I need a new battery.
2 years ago
Last edited at 9:22PM on 1/14/2012
The Advantage's are obvious if you have it plugged in all day it will never die, however due to the constant Energy consumption the electricity bill will be extremely high. Also you will always have to have it near a plug which of course you can unplug it at anytime if you always have it plugged in
U may get certain advantages for the time being that is the battery will be 100% full but as its repeated again and again your battery dies unusually and u won't get your laptop wherever u want to go unplugged. That's what happened to me also.
it does wear the battery down but it also gets really HOT. can be a fire risk. i got a severe burn that got infected from falling asleep with the battery pack next to my arm. i woke up about 2am with blisters all over my wrist. i got up & cooled it but the infection spread & i had to go in for a strong antibiotic to control the infection.