Submit a question to our community and get an answer from real people.
Submit

What do you do when you get electrocuted?

my little cousin just got shocked what do i do? please hurry

Report as

Call 911. While waiting for medical help, follow these steps:

Look first. Don't touch. The person may still be in contact with the electrical source. Touching the person may pass the current through you.Turn off the source of electricity, if possible. If not, move the source away from you and the person, using a nonconducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood.Check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If absent, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) immediately.Prevent shock. Lay the person down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk, with the legs elevated.After coming into contact with electricity, the person should see a doctor to check for internal injuries, even if he or she has no obvious signs or symptoms.

Caution

Don't touch the person with your bare hands if he or she is still in contact with the electrical current.Don't get near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least 20 feet away — farther if wires are jumping and sparking.Don't move a person with an electrical injury unless the person is in immediate danger.

Helpful (3) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (3)
Report as
Good answer!
Report as
yeahh thanks
Report as
No problem! I hope your cousin gets better.
Report as
Add a comment...

ummm...you need to call an ambulance!

Helpful (3) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
shes not that shocked but thanks :)
Report as
Haha^ Same thing happened to me and I was wondering what i should do so that guy helped me out too Thanks(:
Report as
Add a comment...

If you live in the US, call 911 if you notice serious injuries, usually the result of being electrocuted are severe burns and heart failure, if he's suffering from no burns and seems alright, he probably is...

Helpful (3) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
thank youu so much
Report as
Add a comment...

Tell your parents or an adult ASAP, and if you need to call 911. The following is a guide to when you might need to seek medical attention.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/electric_shock/page4_em.htm#When to Seek Medical Care

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
okay thank you FOR YOUR HELP
Report as
Add a comment...

It depends! I got shocked by a taser which sends 50,000 volt of electrical shock to my body, for 5 looooong seconds and I was fine. I think.

Helpful (2) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (3)
Report as
you think? haha
Report as
Lol
Report as
Robert: of course not. It's fake questions and humorous questions which makes it entertaining.
Report as
Add a comment...
ClydeW

dial 911 immediately

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
ClydeW
once help is on the way... determine if your cousin is still connected to the electrical threat... if so shut off the main breaker to the source of power, pull the plug or kill power to the house.. Keep him/her consious.. wait for the help which you already called for.
Report as
thank you
Report as
Add a comment...
ellemacgregor

Did he get shocked or electrocuted, theres a difference

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (2)
Report as
i dont know the difference
Report as
ellemacgregor
Is he able to talk? Can he move?
Report as
Add a comment...

Call 911

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
thank you i already did that
Report as
Add a comment...

For children I suggest the emergency room, outside of burns there could be nerve damage

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (1)
Report as
ok thanks
Report as
Add a comment...
Kenny28451

Your cousin got shocked, but not electrocuted. If he (she) were electrocuted, you'd be planning a funeral about now.

Helpful (1) Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...

Jumangimon definitely has the best answer, but I'd like to add the following. I'm an electrician so I know a thing or two about a thing or two. If the person is on a ladder, kick it down! falling 6 or even 10 feet is better than being "locked" on to a live wire. at least 8 times out of 10, the source or breaker panel is not a realistic option. It's probably located relatively far away. I know that if I was being electrocuted I'd rather be tackled or hit with a non-conductive object than boil from the inside. For the guy who got tasered, yes a taser gun operates with 50,000 volts but the amperage is non-existant. on a typical 120 volt cct the amperage depends on what device is drawing power, how much it's drawing and your resistance. It's more the amps that kill you than the voltage. however remember this. One Amp at One Volt has the potential to kill a human

Helpful Fun Thanks for voting Comments (0)
Report as
Add a comment...
Do you have an answer?
Answer this question...
Did you mean?
Login or Join the Community to answer
Popular Searches