Most cough drops do not contain any medications, but a few do. Whether your child will be harmed depends in what the active ingredients are in the product he ingested. And how much he ate if it. Talk to a pharmacist.
It's best to keep children away from products used to treat illness. That way they know that they are medicine and not candy.
2 years ago
Last edited at 8:01PM on 4/6/2011
Check the label on the cough drop bag or box. If they are menthol or eucalyptus, they may not be recommended for children of a certain age. To be on the safe side you can always call your pediatrician, or the Poison Control Hotline. If your child seems ill, take them to the Emergency Room - better safe than sorry.