Q:

What makes nail polish too thick?

A:

Nail polish becomes thicker with age due to evaporating solvents, according to Daily Makeover. When these solvents evaporate, the polish gets thick and stringy, resulting in lumpy, uneven results. Thick polish also does not adhere to the nail bed very well, which causes chipping and peeling. For best results, Daily Makeover says never to use polish that is more than 12 months old.

There are many things that can speed along the evaporation process and cause nail polish to become too thick before its time. Leaving the lid off the polish for long periods of time can dry out the polish. For this reason, polish should be closed tightly whenever the brush is not in use. Allowing dried polish to accumulate along the neck of the bottle can allow air to seep into the bottle even when it's closed. It's always a good idea to clean the neck of the bottle after each use.

If polish becomes too thick to work with, a few drops of polish thinner may thin it enough to make it usable once again. Available wherever nail polish is sold, nail polish thinner may lengthen the life of a bottle of polish up to three months or longer, depending on the brand and quality.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What is nail polish made up of?

    A:

    Nail polish is made up of solvents, film formers, resins, plasticizers and pigments. These ingredients are labeled as butyl acetate, xylene, toluene and formalin. Companies including Essie and Butter London use formulations that are free of DBP, toluene and formaldehyde.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Does nail polish go bad?

    A:

    Nail polish can go bad, but with proper storage it lasts an extremely long time. Manufacturers rarely list an expiration date on nail polish, so monitoring the polish's texture is necessary to determine if it has gone bad.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you remove nail polish from skin?

    A:

    Spray deodorant on skin that has nail polish on it. Rinse the deodorant off by soaking skin in water for a few minutes. Rub the skin with sanitizer to get rid of any trace of polish.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is no-bite nail polish?

    A:

    No-bite nail polish is a nail polish that is designed to give off a bitter taste when the wearer attempts to bite their nails, discouraging them from continuing the habit. It is generally safe to use for children, teens and adults.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore