Vans shoes are the epitome of the laid-back skater lifestyle. They are comfortable, long lasting, and can be customized to fit any personality. Not only are the shoes available in a seemingly endless array of colors and patterns, but they are also easily customizable through the Vans website. Additionally, some creative types may choose to order white or cream Vans and customize them at home, using paint, markers, glitter, puff paint and other materials.
1. Go to the Vans website and select the “Custom Shoes” option from the left-hand sidebar.
2. Select the shoe style you prefer on the next page and wait for the pop-up to appear.
3. Select your gender and size, then hit next. Choose a base color on the next page (white or black).
4. Have fun on the next page. Here you can choose the colors and patterns for each part of the shoe. Try many combinations before you decide. You can also look at your shoe from different angles by selecting the other views below the main picture.
5. Save your design if you like it but want to play around more later. Erase it if you want to start over. Select “Add to Cart” or “Add to Wishlist” if a family member or friend will be ordering the shoe for you. The delivery takes 5-7 weeks, according to the website.
1. Purchase your favorite style and color of Vans. Light colors will probably look best if you plan to use markers, but you can do anything you want.
2. Gather your craft supplies. Fabric paint, sparkles, fabric markers, puff paint and glitter glue will all stick well to the fabric. Spray paint is messier and harder to control, but it can look great.
3. If you plan on a complicated design or drawing, lightly pencil the design onto the sneakers before you start. Then, fill in the design with fabric paint on a small paintbrush or use fabric markers. If you are worried about bleeding or mixing colors, allow the paint to dry before adding the adjacent colors.
4. Create a stencil for your shoes by first drawing a design on a piece of cardboard. Cut it out, making sure you know where the paint will show. Then, spray paint the shoes using the stencil. Cover the surrounding area and the rest of the shoes with newspaper. Make sure you shake the spray can and hold it at least several inches away from the fabric before you start spraying.
5. Go wild with puff paint and glitter glue. Create designs or draw pictures with the puff paint. Use fabric markers to color in your designs. Accent the designs with glitter glue in a complementary or contrasting color.
6. Cover the shoes with fabric glue and dip them in glitter to get an all-over effect. Consider stuffing the shoes before you dip them in the glitter, or you might be picking sparkles out of your socks for weeks after.
7. Let all your designs dry before wearing them!