Getting bitten by a garden snake or other snake can certainly be traumatic, whether the snake is of the family of poisonous or non-venomous snakes. Regardless of classification, snakes will only bite humans when they are threatened or startled, and the bite response is as old as time itself, a programmed fight-or-flight response that is protective and defensive rather than aggressive. It is rare that a snake will not bite and then let go, so what remains after the snake has released is to treat the bite to prevent infection to the wound. Learn from experts how to effectively treat a snakebite, from a non-venomous snake such as a garden snake.
Occasionally a garden snake will not be able to self-release after biting, and in this case simply grasp the snake's head on either side and press its head into the bite so it can release.
First, it is necessary to thoroughly wash and clean the snakebite wound. Use only clean, fresh water. Do not use soap for this first phase of cleaning. Once the wound has been thoroughly irrigated with plain water, use a mild anti-bacterial type soap to clean the wound. Avoid soaps with alcohol as an ingredient and do not use hydrogen peroxide. Both alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can cause more harm than good to the injured tissues. Gently blot the wound dry with a very soft cloth or towel, taking care not to wipe or rub at all, as this may further tear or irritate the wound. Allow the wound to air dry as much as possible until it heals. Experts recommend not using a bandage or even gauze and tape as this can prevent air circulation from getting to the wound, and trap moisture near the injured skin, which can breed bacteria and infection.