What You Should Know About Financial Assistance for Soldiers

By Mary Richardson , last updated October 22, 2011

As a soldier in the United States Army, there are several guidelines you should know about financial assistance in order to fulfill your educational goals. Serving members of the armed forces are entitled to financial assistance at an accredited 4 year college or university. Because the military encourages you to meet your educational and personal goals, there are several aid programs to help you. Use these guidelines to learn more about financial assistance and get your education. You may be able to combine these programs in order to receive maximum benefits.

Army Tuition Assistance Program

If you are an active duty officer or enlisted soldier, warrant officer, or active guard reservist, you qualify for educational assistance. Candidates are offered up to $4,500 annually for tuition. However, there is no compensation for application or other fees. You must take the courses off duty hours at a college or an online university registered with the Tuition Assistance Program. For more information, visit www.goarmyed.com

Reserve Officer Training Corps

For students working towards a commission in the Army, the ROTC program offers money for tuition, books, fees, and other college expenses. In exchange for assistance, students must commit to serving in the Army for a specified amount of time after graduation. High school seniors can apply for 4 year scholarships, while students already enrolled in college can apply for partial 2 or 3 year scholarships. The amount of money awarded each year depends on your year in the program, with highest compensations for seniors. Scholarship recipients must participate in ROTC activities during the year. Refer to www.goarmy.com for more information.

The Post 9-11 GI Bill

If you served in the Army on September 11, 2011 or afterwards, you may qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill which pays tuition, fees, books, supplies, and a housing allowance. Tuition costs are capped at $17,500 a year for private institutions. In some cases, you may be able to transfer your benefits to a dependent. Refer to www.gibill.va.gov for more information.

Related Articles
If you or your spouse are in the military, there are numerous financial programs to help make your years in the service easier financially. One of these is the ...
If you are struggling financially to make ends meet or are faced with a crisis that requires funds you don't have, you might be eligible for a hardship grant ...
The financial term "CD" is short for certificate of deposit. A certificate of deposit is a method of storing away money at a bank or credit union while ...
About -  Privacy -  AskEraser  -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Q&A -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback © 2014 Ask.com