Q:

Can you eat portobello mushrooms raw?

A:

While it is possible to eat raw portobello mushrooms, Dr. Andrew Weil advises against eating any mushrooms without cooking them first. Raw mushrooms contain potentially harmful and toxic carcinogens.

According Dr. Weil, mushrooms have a tough outer wall and are difficult to digest if not cooked. Cooking mushrooms also releases key nutrients like B vitamins, minerals, and proteins.

Dr. Weil states that cooking any mushroom at a high temperature prior to eating, whether by sauteeing, broiling or grilling, helps to break down many of the potentially harmful toxins. Broiling and grilling are often considered the best ways to cook mushrooms.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    How can I recognize edible mushrooms?

    A:

    Edible mushrooms are recognized through close examination of their gills, cap, stalk, spores and size, according to Twin Eagles Wilderness School. Once a mushroom is found, its key identifying factors are noted and cross-referenced with a mushroom hunting guide or other field resource that can confirm or rule out whether a mushroom is edible or not.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some types of edible mushrooms?

    A:

    Edible mushrooms are plentiful throughout the world, with the most popular varieties including portobellos, crimini and porcini. According to GardenGuides.com, each mushroom species offers unique nutritional benefits. However, most are high in antioxidants and protein and low in fat.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What do mushrooms eat?

    A:

    According to Better Homes and Gardens, mushrooms come from spores rather than seeds like most vegetables. Instead of plant nutrient or fertilizer, mushrooms prefer nourishment called "spawn," composed of wet, wood-based components.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    How can you tell when mushrooms are spoiled?

    A:

    The easiest way to tell if mushrooms are bad is by touching them, according to EatByDate. Spoiled mushrooms have a slimy or sticky surface and tend to darken in color. Spoiled mushrooms also feel mushy and may have mold on them.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore