Pork belly can be cooked in many different ways, including braising, grilling, frying or simmering. Pork belly has a lot of fat, so if you plan on using it in a recipe, you'll probably need to render some of the fat out.
Bonappetit.com recommends braising fresh pork belly in the oven until the fat is melted and the collagen is broken down, then letting it rest overnight in the refrigerator. You can then braise the pork in the oven for use in your recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Season the pork belly with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you desire.
- Place the pork belly in an ovenproof pan and pour 3 cups of stock or other liquid over the pork. Bring the liquid to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover the pan tightly and place it in the oven for 3 hours or until the pork belly is tender.
- Remove the pork belly from the pan and allow it to rest overnight in the refrigerator before removing the skin and using the pork belly in recipes.