Q:

What happens if you eat too much beetroot?

A:

Eating too much beetroot can cause undesired side effects, like pink-colored urine and kidney stones. When eaten in moderation, beetroot is rich in nutrients and has some health benefits.

Beetroot is considered a super food that can help lower blood pressure and has also been used to treat other ailments including constipation and skin problems. Beetroot contains flavonoids, which are responsible for its deep red pigment. This pigment can cause a pinkish tint in the urine, which can be mistaken for blood.

Beetroot also contains oxalates, which can prevent the body from absorbing calcium. This calcium can build up in the kidneys and lead to kidney stones.

Sources:

  1. boots.com
  2. nhs.uk

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What are the side effects from taking too much calcium?

    A:

    According to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements, side effects from ingesting excess calcium in the form of dietary supplements or antacid tablets include hypercalcemia (an elevated calcium level in the blood), calcium deposits in soft tissue, constipation and kidney stones. Occasionally, hypercalcemia can lead to psychiatric disturbances.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    What happens when you boil milk?

    A:

    When milk boils, the cream rises to the top while the water in milk continues to boil beneath it. If the milk continues to boil, it will spill over. This occurs because milk is a colloid.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when you eat bad fish?

    A:

    WebMD explains that scombrotoxin poisoning is an allergic illness caused by the ingestion of spoiled fish. Symptoms include a burning sensation inside the mouth, dizziness, diarrhea, headache and an itching rash. Scombrotoxin can be treated with antihistamines, and its symptoms typically dissipate within four to six hours. Fish that are known to cause scombrotoxin poisoning include tuna, mahi-mahi and mackerel.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when you mix water and sugar?

    A:

    Mixing water and sugar produces a mixture that is called a solution. In chemistry labs, this is often an experiment used to demonstrate the solubility of a solute in a solvent. In this experiment, the solute is sugar, and water is the solvent.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore