Q:

Are honeysuckle berries poisonous to humans?

A:

Quick Answer

Honeysuckle berries only become poisonous to humans when ingested in large quantities; however, they can cause illness. Their toxicity varies on the species, which range from non-poisonous to mildly toxic.

Know More
Are honeysuckle berries poisonous to humans?
Credit: Celeste Lindell CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

The most common symptom of mild poisoning of honeysuckle berry poisoning is a stomach ache. Usually there are no other symptoms, but mild poisoning can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, sweats, dilated pupils and increased heartbeat. When these berries are ingested in large quantities, respiratory failure, convulsions and coma may occur.

Although some of the honeysuckle berries may be toxic, North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension states that the nectar from the flowers of a honeysuckle plant can be ingested without harm.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Are Liriope berries poisonous?

    A:

    Liriope berries, which come from the plant commonly called lily turf, can cause low toxicity when ingested but are not considered poisonous. The berries only react if ingested. Handling the berries cannot harm you in any way.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are hypericum berries poisonous?

    A:

    Also known as St. John’s Wort, hypericum berries are mild to moderately poisonous. In livestock, this plant is poisonous and can cause skin irritation, panting, confusion, anorexia, depression and an abnormal increase in body temperature.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are yew berries poisonous?

    A:

    While the flesh of the yew berry is not poisonous, the seeds contained inside the flesh are toxic. If the flesh of the berry is eaten without the seeds being chewed, the seeds pass through the body undigested without causing poisoning, explains The Poison Garden.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are rowan tree berries poisonous?

    A:

    Raw rowan tree berries are poisonous as they contain parasorbic acid. However, if they are cooked well, the parasorbic acid turns into sorbic acid, which is not poisonous to ingest.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore