Q:

How long does it take for lemons to ripen?

A:

Quick Answer

On a tree, it usually takes between six and nine months for lemons to ripen, depending on the conditions during those months. Warm temperatures and lots of water are key factors in helping the fruit ripen more quickly.

Know More

Full Answer

Lemon trees can provide ripe fruit throughout the year, so it is important to recognize the signs of a ripe lemon. Lemons are typically between 2 and 3 inches in size when they are fully mature, and they may still have a greenish-yellow color. Wait to pick lemons until they are completely yellow and have a glossy finish across the surface of the peel.

Learn more about Fruits & Veggies

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Can eating lemons help me lose weight?

    A:

    Despite misconceptions, eating lemons doesn't contribute to weight loss, according to SFGate. In fact, eating too many adds to a person's calorie intake and may contribute to weight gain. The Food Network also reports that it is a myth that drinking lemon water has weight-loss effects.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the different types of lemons?

    A:

    The many types of lemons grown and consumed around the world include Armstrong, Avon, Berna, Eureka, Genoa, Harvey, Lisbon and Meyer. Some types of lemon, such as Meyer, Ponderosa and Rough lemons, grow in the United States and enjoy widespread popularity and consumption. Lemons vary in size, and derive from lemon trees, which range from 10-20 feet tall.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the difference between waxed lemons and unwaxed lemons?

    A:

    The main difference between waxed and unwaxed lemons is that waxed lemons have a longer shelf life. The waxing process of a citrus fruit, such as a lemon, can extend its shelf life by nearly 3 weeks if stored outside the refrigerator. If refrigerated, a waxed lemon will keep for a longer time.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are rowan tree berries poisonous?

    A:

    Raw rowan tree berries are poisonous as they contain parasorbic acid. However, if they are cooked well, the parasorbic acid turns into sorbic acid, which is not poisonous to ingest.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore