Q:

Are pyracantha berries poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the bitter-tasting berries of the Pyracantha bush, popularly known as Firethorn, are not known to be poisonous in small amounts. Action should be taken only if the berries have recently been sprayed with insecticide.

Know More

Full Answer

In 1957, the Arizona Poisoning Control Information Center received numerous calls about the toxicity of Pyracantha berries. The center conducted tests on various animals in which the animals were given large amounts of the berries over a period of 10 days. None of the animals exhibited any ill effects from consuming the berries.

Pyracantha berries are commonly used to make jelly and jam. Pyracantha jelly is similar in taste to apple jelly. Since the berries are very bitter, a large amount of sugar is used when making the jelly or jam.

Learn more about Food Facts

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some poisonous berries?

    A:

    A few of the more common poisonous berries are woodbine, cotoneaster, pokeweed, mistletoe, holly, yew and ivy berries, according to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, many poisonous berries resemble their benign counterparts. Many are dark blue and look similar to blueberries and huckleberries.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are apple seeds poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    Apple seeds are not harmful to dogs when ingested in small amounts, according to DogSupplies.com. However, apple seeds contain a form of cyanide that is toxic to humans and animals when ingested in large quantities.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are raw olives poisonous?

    A:

    Raw olives are not poisonous. However, they have a bitter taste before they are processed. They are typically cured using one of several methods that remove the bitter substance oleuropein. Curing methods include the use of liquid brine and drying between salt layers.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are red mushrooms poisonous?

    A:

    Amanita muscaria, the best known and most widely found red mushroom, is poisonous. Cases of death after ingestion are, however, exceptionally rare. The mushroom is known for its hallucinogenic properties.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore