The tiny hairs on raspberries are called pistils, and it is these pistils that help turn the berries into an edible fruit. Raspberries are actually clusters of aggregate fruit, meaning one fruit grows onto a single pistil. Each berry is the result of pollinated white flowers that contain numerous hair-like pistils. After the berries mature, the visible hairs are what remain of the original pistils.Know More
The hair-like pistils commonly seen on raspberries are from the female part of the flower. Pistils are easier to spot on certain varieties of raspberries. It is possible that the pistils remain on the fruit as a natural defense against insect predators. Insects and fungi eat raspberry plant leaves and sap.
Raspberries are extremely versatile with more than 200 species grown in various parts of the world. While red and black raspberries are the most popular varieties, the fruit can also appear as orange, yellow or purple. People are heavy consumers of this popular berry. Berries are enjoyed fresh and are commonly used to make delicious jams, pies, cakes and other tasty foods. In the wild, raspberries are a staple food for over 150 bird species, black bears, rodents and other mammals. In addition to being a food source, raspberry plants serve as convenient cover from predators.Learn more about Fruits & Veggies
Phytolacca berries are an emetic that cause severe vomiting, although their purgative quality can be reduced with proper cooking. They have been used a folk remedy for rheumatism, although there is no clinical evidence that they are have any effect.Full Answer >
Although the majority of edible berries grow on bushes and shrubs, there are several edible berries that grow on trees, such as the mulberry, hackberry, chokecherry or chokeberry, and the tree strawberry. All of these berry trees can be found growing wild in various parts of North America.Full Answer >
Mountain ash berries are not poisonous. Many species of birds eat them. In addition, the berries are used to make jams, jellies, wines and cordials.Full Answer >
Honeysuckle berries only become poisonous to humans when ingested in large quantities; however, they can cause illness. Their toxicity varies on the species, which range from non-poisonous to mildly toxic.Full Answer >