While drinking spoiled milk is unlikely to be lethal for an otherwise healthy adult, it may cause food poisoning. For children and those people with vulnerable immune systems, this could be severely problematic. Drinking spoiled milk is associated with the risk of staph food poisoning, or infection by Staphylococcus aureus, particularly when the milk has not been stored at a low enough temperature.Know More
Staph food poisoning can be avoided in milk and other dairy products by storing them at temperatures lower than 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Milk should be refrigerated shortly after purchase in order to maintain a fairly stable temperature. For the same reason, it is best not to return unconsumed milk to the original container if it has been at room temperature for a period of time.
Typically, it can be determined whether milk has spoiled based on its smell. If it does not smell unpleasant, it is likely safe to drink. The expiration date on the label is not a reliable indicator of spoilage, but milk will not generally keep for longer than a few days after this date.
Symptoms of staph food poisoning include nausea and vomiting, stomachaches and diarrhea. It may also be accompanied by dehydration and the associated symptoms of headache, muscle cramps and increased heart rate.Learn more about Food Spoilage
If a child drinks spoiled milk, rinse his mouth with water. The child may vomit initially because of the bad taste of the milk, but he will usually not develop a foodborne illness, according to The Stir. Medical care is recommended if the child develops diarrhea, fever or prolonged vomiting.Full Answer >
If a baby drinks spoiled milk, rinse her mouth with water. The baby may vomit due to the milk's taste, but foodborne illness usually does not result, according to The Stir. Seek immediate medical attention if the baby develops diarrhea, fever, prolonged vomiting or blood in the stool.Full Answer >
Discard milk if it is left out at room temperature for more than two hours. Milk that remains at room temperature for an extended period of time grows bacteria and should not be consumed.Full Answer >
Yogurt is safe to eat after being unrefrigerated for 24 hours or less. The most common way in which unrefrigerated yogurt goes bad before its "best before" date is the formation of mold on the surface.Full Answer >