Milk that has gone past its expiration date begins to develop bacteria that are sometimes harmful to the human body, leading to food poisoning if consumed. According to MedlinePlus, food poisoning has any or all of the following symptoms: headache, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, weakness, fever, chills, diarrhea and blood in the stool.Know More
After a certain period of time, milk starts to develop a bacteria called Streptococcus lactis. While this bacteria is often deliberately added to milk under controlled circumstances to make products such as sour cream and buttermilk, when left to its own devices, this normally beneficial bacteria consumes the milk and leaves behind waste materials that negatively affect the food. These waste materials lead to food poisoning in humans. Raw, unpasteurized milk is more likely to contain these pathogens.
Store milk in sealed containers, and refrigerate it properly. Use a thermometer in the refrigerator to check that the refrigerator's temperature stays below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, pay attention to where the milk is placed. The upper shelves of a refrigerator tend to have the most consistent temperature; the door shelves are the warmest spot. When properly stored, pasteurized milk has a shelf life of roughly two weeks. Regardless, if the milk it has an odd smell or unusual texture, discard it.Learn more about Food Facts
The negative side effects of drinking almond milk are facial swelling and vomiting. These effects are more common in people with allergies to nuts.Full Answer >
Milk is beneficial for overall health because it is high in protein, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. Consuming milk from childhood encourages healthy growth and development, makes bones strong and helps prevent bone diseases such as osteoporosis.Full Answer >
Drinking chocolate is a beverage composed of solid pieces of chocolate and hot water or milk rather than ground up chocolate powder. Drinking chocolate is more common in Europe, where it's sold as large chunks or pellets of chocolate. This type of drink is thicker and richer than the version of hot chocolate found in the United States.Full Answer >
According to Bon Appetit, it is completely safe to drink pickle juice. The online magazine recommends drinking the juice as one way to deal with the liquid left over in a jar after all the pickles have been eaten.Full Answer >