Q:

Where is freshwater located in the world?

A:

Quick Answer

Freshwater is located in, on and above the Earth. It is found in freshwater lakes, rivers, swamps, creeks, estuaries, icebergs, glaciers and manmade reservoirs. Minute amounts of water are present in the atmosphere, in the soil and in biological organisms. Freshwater can also be found a few miles off the ground.

  Know More

Full Answer

Nearly 97 percent of the world's water is saline or sea water, while freshwater or surface water makes up roughly 3 percent of the total water supply. Roughly 30 percent of this surface water is groundwater, while glaciers and ice caps make up the remaining 70 percent. Permanent ice located in the polar regions and mountain glaciers are the largest surface water storage in the world. Icebergs, glaciers and lake ice form from freshwater sources. Most icebergs and glaciers have been consistently solid for up to 15,000 years.

Billions of people around the world depend on groundwater as their main freshwater supply. The supply of groundwater is replenished by rain, snow, hail and other water sources that seep through the ground and move down into the water table. In the United States, freshwater sources are surface water or water from dams and manmade lakes. The water is generally treated and distributed as drinking water for public use, irrigation purposes and for use in the thermoelectric power supply to cool electricity-generating equipment.

Learn more about Bodies of Water

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are the four oceans on Earth?

    A:

    The four oceans on Earth are the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian and Arctic. These four oceans make up about 70 percent of the planet. The southern portions of the former three oceans merge at the Antarctic region, but this area of water is not generally considered an ocean.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the four oceans?

    A:

    The original four oceans are the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian and Arctic; however, the International Hydrographic Organization recognized the Southern Ocean as the fifth ocean on Earth in the spring of 2000.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do rivers flow?

    A:

    Generally, rivers follow a downhill course due to the gravitational pull of the Earth. The majority of the planet's rivers arise in the mountains and are bound in a downstream, southerly direction.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the land to water ratio on Earth?

    A:

    The land-to-water ratio on Earth is about 29 percent land to 71 percent water, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Most of the Earth's water, about 96.5 percent, is saline water contained in the oceans.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore