Q:

What are the some of Italy's main seaports?

A:

Some of the Italy's main seaports are Gioia Tauro and Naples in the south and Genoa in the north. These seaports are important to commerce. Italy has many important seaports due to its location in an advantageous spot in the Mediterranean.

Italy has a number of seaports, and is an extremely important shipping and passenger hub in the Mediterranean.

  • Gioia Tauro: This is the largest container port in Italy and the seventh-largest in Europe. Over one-third of the shipping traffic to Italy flows through this port. It is located on the south-western tip of Italy, making it convenient for shipping traffic that does not want to go up the coast.
  • Naples: Just off the Tyrrhenian Sea, this port is Italy's largest passenger seaport, serving local traffic as well as international cruise ship traffic. This port sees over 1.5 million cruise passengers annually.
  • Genoa: Serving the most combined traffic, Genoa is second to Gioia Tauro in terms of cargo traffic and second to Naples in terms of passenger traffic. Unlike the other two, this port is located in Northern Italy and not on the peninsula.
Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are the physical features of Italy?

    A:

    Italy, a peninsula surrounded by the Adriatic, Ionian, Tyrrhenian and Ligurian Seas, has a varied geographic makeup of mountains, volcanoes and rivers. Italy also has its own islands, including Sicily and Sardinia. These islands associate with two other major bodies of water that surround the country, the Sea of Sardinia and the Strait of Sicily.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What borders Italy?

    A:

    Italy is bordered by the countries of Austria, France, the Holy See, San Marino, Slovenia and Switzerland. Additionally, it has coastline on the Mediterranean, Tyrrhenian, Ionian and Adriatic Seas.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the main religion in Italy?

    A:

    The main religion in Italy is Roman Catholicism. According to the CIA's World Factbook, 80 percent of Italians are Christian, with the vast majority of those belonging to the Roman Catholic Church. The remaining 20 percent are non-believers or agnostics, and there is a small but growing population of Muslims, mostly from Africa.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is Naples, Italy, famous for?

    A:

    Naples is known as the home of dazzling ancient artifacts, the birthplace of pizza and the location of a number of famous buildings. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the history of Naples dates back to 600 B.C., when it was founded as "Neapolis," or "New City." Today, Naples is a treasure trove of culture for travelers in southern Italy.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore