The water in the Caribbean appears blue because it absorbs the red, yellow and green wavelengths of light while reflecting the shorter blue wavelengths of light. The Caribbean water is very clear due to the absence of suspended particles and plankton, further increasing the blue color.
In areas of the ocean where the water has large levels of plankton, the water takes on a green color. Plankton uses chlorophyll to produce food through photosynthesis. Water suspends plankton, causing it to reflect more of the green light that occurs in tropical areas such as the Caribbean.
There is a cost to the clear, blue water of the Caribbean, however. Plankton is the base of the food web for ocean life. In these blue waters, life is harsh, and the creatures living there must adapt to living in a nutrient-poor ocean.
Observers see these adaptations in the coral reef. Coral are living creatures that form the bony structure for the underwater community. The reef provides hiding places and draws in other ocean life. The coral reef ecosystem reduces the harshness of tropical ocean life without affecting the color of the water.
In some shallow areas, the water takes on an aqua color due to the reflection of the sunlight on the sand at the bottom of the ocean. However, in areas where the water is deeper, most of the light is absorbed as energy by the water long before it has a chance to reflect from the bottom of the ocean.Learn More
People from Barbados are referred to as either Barbadians or Bajans. Roughly 90 percent of Bajans have an Afro-Caribbean heritage. Most of the remaining 10 percent of the population have European decent, with 4 percent being Irish.Full Answer >
The Caribbean islands are called the West Indies to correct the name, Indies, mistakenly given by Christopher Columbus. Columbus thought he had reached the Indies of Asia.Full Answer >
A popular nickname for the nation of Cuba is "Pearl of the Antilles." The nickname originated in the late 18th century. It is based on the natural beauty of the Cuban landscape.Full Answer >
The smallest island in the Caribbean is Saba, which has a land area of 5 square miles. The island’s small size keeps it secluded with a local population of around 1,500.Full Answer >