Q:

What is an allergic reaction to bleach?

A:

Quick Answer

An allergic reaction to bleach and other strong cleaning products falls into the irritant contact dermatitis category of skin ailments, according to the Mayo Clinic. Symptoms of this type of allergic reaction include a red rash or bumps, itching, cracked patches of skin, blisters filled with and draining fluid, and pain or tenderness. While the rash from contact dermatitis typically goes away on its own, see a doctor at any sign of infection.

 Know More

Full Answer

A reaction to bleach sometimes occurs after just brief contact during a single exposure to the product, according to the Mayo Clinic. When itching and irritation are severe, the compromised skin presents an increased risk of localized bacterial or fungal infections at the site of the reaction. Neurodermatitis, a condition that creates chronic itching and scaling, is also possible.

If it is unclear what caused the rash or if the rash continues to occur, it is wise to confirm the allergy with patch testing at a doctor's office, according to The Permanente Medical Group. To prevent an allergic reaction to bleach, avoid contact with it by wearing protective gloves. Wash hands promptly if bleach comes in contact with the skin. In the case of a reaction, topical hydrocortisone and antihistamines often help to relieve itching, swelling and pain.

Learn more about Allergies

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is wheat intolerance?

    A:

    The Mayo Clinic explains that wheat intolerance is an allergic reaction to foods and drinking beverages that contain wheat ingredients. Individuals who suffer from wheat intolerance may also have allergic reactions from simply inhaling wheat flour. Wheat allergies are among the most common food allergies in the United States.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is an allergic reaction to bug bites?

    A:

    While most people have mild side effects that include itching, swelling or pain at the site of an insect bite, others can experience a dangerous allergic reaction when bitten by insects, according to Mayo Clinic. Symptoms of a severe allergic anaphylactic reaction include nausea, facial swelling, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain and diminished blood pressure. Additionally, if a bite swells larger than 4 inches across, medical attention should be sought.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    How do you manage an allergic reaction to kiwi ?

    A:

    A kiwi fruit allergy can be managed by avoidance and treatment with appropriate medications, including antihistamines, bronchodilators, eyedrops and oral steroids, states Right Diagnosis. If a kiwi fruit allergy is confirmed, the sufferer should stop eating the food to avoid further complications and discomfort. An allergic reaction to kiwi can manifest in 34 different symptoms.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What does a high white blood cell count indicate?

    A:

    A high white blood cell count typically indicates a bacterial or viral infection; a disorder of the immune system; a reaction to medication; leukemia; allergic reaction; stress; or smoking, as stated by Mayo Clinic. Tuberculosis and rheumatoid arthritis are also common causes of an increase in white blood cells.

    Full Answer >

Explore