Biting ants, or fire ants, leave red hive-like lesions that are distinct for their immense burning and itching, according to WebMD. In some cases, the lesions or blisters fill with puss and, in other cases, the bites create a life-threatening allergic reaction, according to WebMD. For the quickest relief, ice packs, pain relievers and antihistamines are commonly used to treat the pain and itching associated with ant bites, according to WebMD.Know More
After being stung, the area should be washed with soap and water and ice should be applied to alleviate some of the pain, according to KidsHealth. Antihistamines are useful for helping to control swelling and itching, according to KidsHealth. The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology states that It is important to avoid breaking the blisters at the site of the stings to prevent a secondary infection.
While not common, it is possible to have a severe allergic reaction to ant bites, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Characterized by a tightness of the chest, swelling of the tongue or throat, abdominal cramping and nausea and itching or swelling in areas other than the original sting site, this reaction is life-threatening and immediate medical attention is necessary, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.