Q:

Can mold make you sick?

A:

Quick Answer

Depending on the type and amount, mold can make people sick, according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. Some mold is more dangerous than others, especially for those with compromised immune systems.

Know More
Can mold make you sick?
Credit: Tim Platt The Image Bank Getty Images

Full Answer

Mold typically grows in warm, humid environments, but can also be found in dry environments, such as deserts. It is usually found indoors around windows, under roof leaks, in basements and under sinks. The first sign of a mold problem is a musty smell.

Mold sickness may be difficult for doctors to diagnose because it shares symptoms with other diseases and illnesses. Symptoms of mold sickness include headache, memory loss, anxiety, muscle and joint pain, fatigue and shortness of breath.

Learn more in Allergies
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is type I hypersensitivity?

    A:

    Type I hypersensitivity is an allergic reaction that is caused by exposure to allergens that triggers an immune response within the body. It generally involves excessive physical reactions visible on the skin or eyes.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the effects of toxic mold on a person?

    A:

    Infants raised in moldy homes are 300 percent more likely to have asthma by age 7 than children who are not, according to a 2011 study in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology cited by WebMD. Severe allergic reactions to mold exposure can include mold-induced asthma, states Mayo Clinic.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the importance of mold count?

    A:

    The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America advises that persons who suffer allergic reactions to mold sometimes use information about the mold spore count to help decide whether or not to stay indoors. A sampling of particulates in the air is examined to determine the mold spore count for that location and time period.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How long does it take for exposure to black mold to negatively effect a person's health?

    A:

    Black mold often negatively effects a person's health, but the length of time required for exposure differs greatly from person to person. Many individuals do not suffer any discernible issues from exposure, while others are easily affected. Some of the most important factors to consider are whether or not allergies are involved, if a person has other underlying health concerns and how much mold is visible in a domicile.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore