You can safely gargle hydrogen peroxide by taking careful precautions. Remember never to swallow it. Hydrogen peroxide gargle is used for treating a sore throat and mouth. It is an antiseptic that cleans sores and removes phlegm, mucus and secretions from your throat.Know More
Pour out 10 milliliters or 2 teaspoons of the gargle. This is the amount you should gargle each time. Gargle up to four times a day, after meals and at bedtime. Hydrogen peroxide gargle should be kept at room temperature.
Rinse the gargle in your mouth for at least one minute. Hold the gargle over the sore throat to allow the antiseptic to cleanse your throat. Do not swallow the hydrogen peroxide. If more than 10 milliliters is accidentally swallowed, consult your doctor. Swallowing hydrogen peroxide may cause stomach discomfort.
After one minute of gargling, spit out the gargle. Do not use the gargle for more than two days unless instructed by your doctor. Stop using hydrogen peroxide gargle if you experience worsening sore throat, pain, redness, swelling or fever, and consult your doctor. Children under the age of 3 should not use hydrogen peroxide gargle unless instructed by the doctor.
Standard hydrogen peroxide should not be ingested, according WebMD. An extremely small amount of food-grade hydrogen peroxide can be ingested with a glass of water when used as an alternative therapy for various conditions, according to the National Capital Poison Center.Full Answer >
Hydrogen peroxide treatment to minor cuts, scrapes and sores does work in clearing the affected area of dead skin and facilitating the body's natural healing process, according to WebMD. However, hydrogen peroxide is only a mild antiseptic and should not be used as exclusive treatment or for major injuries.Full Answer >
Hydrogen peroxide retains its effectiveness for up to three years in an unopened container and six months in an opened container. Expired hydrogen peroxide is not detrimental, but it does lose potency.Full Answer >
Hydrogen peroxide works as a disinfectant by oxidizing compounds common to organic life. It is particularly reactive in the presence of an enzyme known as catalase, which occurs naturally in cells and triggers the release of water and oxygen. This release causes hydrogen peroxide's characteristic fizzing, according to HowStuffWorks.Full Answer >