Failing to remove a stinger allows more venom to absorb into your skin, which can magnify the venom's effects and result in more pain. For these reasons, it is best in most cases to remove a stinger as quickly as possible, explains beekeeper Allen Dick for HoneyBeeWorld.com.Know More
How you remove a stinger is not as important as how fast. Many people choose to carefully remove a stinger instead of brushing it away with their finger. But carefully scraping or tweezing a stinger takes longer, which allows more venom to set in, notes Dick.
According to Dr. Saralyn R. Williams, once venom from the stinger is in your skin, there is no way to remove venom. The key is to remain calm and then treat the symptoms. Williams recommends icing the sore area, applying a mixture of baking soda and water and consider applying antihistamine lotion.
Some people who have been stung often, such as hive keepers, may develop an immunity to bee stings and feel little-to-nothing when stung, according to Dick. On the other hand, those with allergies or who are stung in sensitive areas such as the lips may feel more pain than others when stingers are not removed.Learn more about Wounds & Bruises
For minor reactions to a bee sting, wash the area with soap and water, and for more severe reactions, apply ice and take an antihistamine, as stated by Mayo Clinic. With either reaction, avoid scratching the area, and it is always suggested that a hydrocortisone cream is applied directly to the area.Full Answer >
If someone with a history of anaphylaxis or other acute allergic reactions is stung by a bee, WebMD recommends immediately calling 911. This is also true if someone is stung and has trouble breathing or speaking, feels that his airway is closing, is vomiting, or is unconscious.Full Answer >
In the event of a single bee sting that doesn't cause an allergic reaction, the best course of action is to remove the stinger, wash the area, and apply ice or a cold compress, advises Mayo Clinic. Applying hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion eases itching or swelling.Full Answer >
Once the stinger has been removed, treat the pain and itching of a bee sting with ice, an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen and an over-the-counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine, according to eMedicineHealth. Elevate the affected area to reduce discomfort due to swelling.Full Answer >