Q:

What happens if a person inhales the fumes from rubbing alcohol?

A:

Quick Answer

Excessive exposure to isopropyl alcohol, also called rubbing alcohol, through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact may result in poisoning, according to MDGuidelines. Symptoms of exposure include headache, nausea, dizziness and vomiting. An individual who has inhaled significant amounts of isopropyl alcohol may also experience irritated skin, eyes, nose or throat.

Know More

Full Answer

Isopropyl alcohol, or IPA, poisoning results from failure of the liver to handle the amount of alcohol in the body, explains Healthline. IPA quickly causes intoxication, as the body can manage only small amounts of IPA. Around 30 percent of IPA is usually discharged unchanged through the kidneys, whereas the remaining 70 percent turns into acetone and leaves the body through the lungs or kidneys.

Symptoms of IPA poisoning may occur immediately or may appear hours later, says Healthline. It can lead to confusion and extreme pain. Severe symptoms include difficulty in breathing, coma and severe gastritis.

Treatment of IPA poisoning includes hemodialysis, dialysis, oxygen therapy or fluid replacement, states Healthline. It is essential to provide detailed information about the occurrence of the poisoning to allow doctors to choose the most effective treatment. Individuals who suspect IPA poisoning should not induce vomiting to avoid damaging the esophagus. Immediate medical attention is critical to treat poisoning. It is also important to bring the container to the hospital if the individual knows the source of the poisoning.

Learn more about Pain & Symptoms

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is neon dangerous?

    A:

    There are hazards associated with neon, including suffocation with inhalation, corneal frostbite with eye contact and frostbite with skin contact. Overall, this type of gas has low reactivity making it very stable, but the hazards are present in both gas and liquid form.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if you are not producing earwax?

    A:

    When the ear does not produce enough earwax, a person may not be able to hear out of that particular ear, according to Healthline. Earwax filters dust, keeps the ears clean and helps to protect the ears from infection, states WebMD.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when you eat mold?

    A:

    What happens when a person ingests mold depends on the variety of mold, as some cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Other molds produce mycotoxins, poisonous substances that often make the consumer sick. Some are useful in the production of food.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens when food goes down your windpipe?

    A:

    When a person gets food caught in his windpipe, his natural reaction is to start coughing in an attempt to dislodge the food and return it to the esophagus, states the Huffington Post. This usually occurs when a person accidentally inhales food by unknowingly relaxing his mouth and throat muscles.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore