Q:

What happens when you swallow bleach?

A:

Depending on the amount consumed, swallowing bleach can lead to sodium hypochlorite poisoning, states MedlinePlus. Swallowing diluted bleach usually leads to mild stomach irritation, but swallowing larger amounts may cause serious symptoms, such as pain in the throat and mouth, burns on the esophagus, delirium, coma and shock.

Other symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning include red or burning eyes, gagging sensation, chest pain, low blood pressure and slow heart rate, according to MedlinePlus. Stomach or abdominal pain and vomiting may also occur. If bleach is swallowed, immediate medical attention is recommended. If the patient is able to swallow, administer milk or water right away. Do not force the patient to vomit unless directed to do so by a medical professional.

When speaking to emergency medical staff, it is important to know the amount of bleach swallowed and the time of ingestion along with the patient's age, weight and condition, according to MedlinePlus. Patients who swallow bleach generally receive treatment in an emergency room, where they are closely monitored. Depending on the symptoms, treatment can include intravenous fluid, endoscopy and insertion of a tube into the stomach to empty it. With prompt treatment, patients who swallow bleach have a good chance of full recovery.

Sources:

  1. nlm.nih.gov

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What happens if you drink hydrogen peroxide?

    A:

    The effects of drinking hydrogen peroxide vary depending on the amount consumed and its concentration. Consumption of small quantities of dilute hydrogen peroxide can have minor, if any, clinical effects, while drinking larger amounts or higher concentrations has caused fatalities. According to the National Institutes of Health, common hydrogen peroxide concentrations range from 3 percent, which is used as a disinfectant, to 90 percent, which is used as rocket fuel.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if you swallow toothpaste?

    A:

    Swallowing regular toothpaste can lead to stomach pain and intestinal blockage, states MedlinePlus. Swallowing a large amount of toothpaste with fluoride in it can also lead to convulsions, diarrhea, trouble breathing, shock, tremors, vomiting, general weakness or even heart attack.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens if ringworm is left untreated?

    A:

    According to WebMD, untreated ringworm infections can lead to blistering and cracked skin, which in turn can become infected with bacteria. Bacterial infections must be treated with antibiotics. In most cases, ringworm infections can be treated with over-the-counter medications. If non-prescription methods do not work, ringworm can also be treated with prescription medications that are designed to kill the fungus.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What happens to your body when you overdose?

    A:

    A number of negative mental and physical reactions happen to the body as a result of a drug overdose. Symptoms often associated with a drug overdose include agitation, breathing difficulties, drowsiness, hallucinations, paranoia, nausea, tremors and convulsions, notes MedlinePlus. The type of symptoms experienced depends on the drug taken.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore