If a child swallows a penny, he must see a pediatrician or visit an emergency room immediately, says Doctor Charles Howell, pediatric surgeon at MCG Children's Hospital, in Augusta, Georgia. In some cases, objects pass safely through the stomach and gastrointestinal system, but it's best not to wait and see.Know More
Some pennies contain highly corrosive additives that can irritate or damage the esophagus. An x-ray is the only way to determine if the penny is stuck. If an object such as a penny or a small battery, which can also cause corrosive damage, gets stuck in the esophagus, it must be removed.
For items other than coins, batteries and other harmful objects, call the child's pediatrician right away, advises Dr. Howell. Objects generally pass through the body's system within 24 to 48 hours, so a pediatrician often asks that the stools be closely monitored for a day or two. If the object does not pass through, go directly to the emergency room or call the child's pediatrician again.
Parents Magazine warns against putting fingers inside the child's mouth to try to remove the object. This action can cause the object to get pushed further down into the throat and more difficult to remove.Learn more in Gastrointestinal Issues
The capital of Maine is Augusta. The town of Augusta was formed in 1799, before Maine was officially a state. When Maine became the 23rd state in 1820, it named Portland, Maine as the state capital. In 1827, however, the state of Maine designated Augusta as the state capital instead.Full Answer >
Masters Tournament fans can purchase merchandise from Augusta National Golf Club Pro Shop in Augusta, Ga. The Masters Tournament has a website, but it does not sell merchandise.Full Answer >
If a person has overdosed on metroprolol tartrate, contact the local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, or go to the emergency room, states WebMD. Severe dizziness and weakness, a very slow heartbeat, bluish fingernails, fainting and trouble breathing are symptoms of an overdose.Full Answer >
Anyone who suspects a blood clot in the leg should contact a doctor or go to the emergency room immediately, as recommended by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. If a clot breaks free from its location in the leg, it can cause life-threatening complications.Full Answer >