Q:

Why is milk used as an antidote for lead poisoning?

A:

Quick Answer

While milk is not considered an antidote for lead poisoning, it may prevent lead poisoning because its high calcium content reduces the amount of lead that the body absorbs, according to the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services. Foods rich in vitamin C and iron also reduce lead absorption.

 Know More

Full Answer

Lead poisoning occurs when lead accumulates in the body over time. It is especially concerning in children under age 6 because it can cause problems with mental and physical development, according to Mayo Clinic. Children are most commonly exposed to lead through paint and dust that is contaminated with lead. Lead sometimes contaminates air, water and soil as well. Adults are generally exposed to lead while working with batteries, performing home renovations or working in auto repair shops.

Several simple steps help prevent lead poisoning, including cleaning dusty surfaces, and regularly washing children's hands and toys, according to Mayo Clinic. Older plumbing sometimes contains lead pipes or lead fittings, so people who live in older homes should run their cold water for at least one minute before using it, and avoid using hot water for cooking or preparing baby bottles. Treatment for mild cases of lead poisoning includes avoiding further exposure, while more severe cases may require special medications.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are the side effects of drinking bleach?

    A:

    Drinking large quantities of bleach can cause poisoning and lead to serious side effects, such as burning of the esophagus, throat pain, hypotension, vomiting, slowing down of the heart rate and possible coma, relates the National Institute of Health. Bleach contains the active ingredient sodium hypochlorite.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    What is aspartame poisoning?

    A:

    Aspartame poisoning is the harm caused to the body due to excessive consumption of aspartame. Aspartame is a synthetic sweetener that is used to substitute sugar in foods, and it is commonly used in products meant for losing weight. Aspartame is absorbed in the body and accumulates in the tissues of the body, resulting in different health problems, as stated by MDhealth.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    What is high blood calcium?

    A:

    Hypercalcemia, the medical term for a high calcium level, occurs when too much calcium builds up in the blood, states MedlinePlus. In adults, a normal calcium level ranges from 8.8 to 10.4 milligrams per deciliter, according to WebMD.

    Full Answer >
  • Q:

    How do you know if you have food poisoning?

    A:

    According to Mayo Clinic, symptoms of food poisoning can include vomiting, stomach cramps, queasiness, fever and diarrhea. Depending on the specific cause of food poisoning, symptoms can develop within hours following ingestion or may not appear for days or weeks. It is important for individuals to seek immediate medical attention if symptoms of diarrhea last longer than three days or if abdominal pain or cramping is severe.

    Full Answer >

Explore